This recipe was always made by my dear Greek Friend, Patra and a hit at parties. She never wanted to share it until her husband said to me she got it from “Vefa”. Vefa’s Kitchen Recipe book is one of the most famous cooking books in Greece.
Vefa is famous for her words: “if it’s not Greek it’s not in my book.” I went to Greece and bought a copy and now I make this a hit at my dinner parties.
It is an easy and quick cake to make, its moist and not too sweet. Your children will also enjoy this sort-of – healthy cake, just remember to take brandy out.
- ¾ cup of corn oil
- 2/1/2 cups of self –rising flour
- 3 large Carrots, Grated
- 2 small Apples, Grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 4 table spoons of Brandy
- 1 cup of Castor sugar or one can use honey (I prefer sugar – naughty!)
- 1 cup of Walnuts , coarsely chopped
- Icing sugar for dusting at the end
- Preheat Over to 180C . Brush a cake pan( preferably in the 25cm range) with oil .
- Mix the Carrots and apples with the lemon juice in a bowl. Sift together the flour and baking soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar. ,oil , brandy.
- Beat with an mixer or mix with a fork ( I don’t have a mixer, so I use the fork-oldschool)
- Gently stir in the walnuts with a spoon.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer to rack to cool and dust with Icing sugar.