We’ve put a goat milk twist on this kid-favorite to boost nutrition! This cow milk-free recipe has double the protein and less sodium than your average store-bought mac n’ cheese. Plus, by swapping cow milk and cheese for goat, it’s great for little ones with cow milk sensitivity.
By Victoria Walsh
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 5 minutes
Makes 4 servings, each 1/2 cup (125 mL)/140 g
¼ cup (60 mL) KABRITA Goat Milk Toddler Formula, unprepared
½ cup (125 mL) warm water
½ cup (125 mL) goat milk, 3.25%
1 cup (250 mL) dried macaroni elbows
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup (310 mL) coarsely grated cheddar goat cheese, about 3 oz (84 g)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Place formula in a small bowl. Whisk in water, then milk.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. When boiling, add macaroni and stir. Boil, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes until cooked and tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Sprinkle and mix in flour. Stir constantly for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in prepared formula mixture, whisking often for 1 to 2 more minutes, just until hot. Be careful not to overheat or overcook the sauce or it may separate.
- Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of grated cheese. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Stir in cooked macaroni until evenly mixed.
- Spoon pasta into 4 small heatproof baking dishes, such as ramekins, each holding 2/3 cup (160 mL). Sprinkle remaining cheese overtop.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until cheese melts, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand until cool enough to enjoy. If ramekins are too warm, spoon into bowls before serving.
Tip: If making ahead, macaroni and cheese will keep well, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. To reheat, microwave or cook on the stove in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until warm. Stir in a little more milk to moisten if desired. Let stand until cool enough to enjoy. Do not use formula discarded from your toddler’s feed.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 317, Protein: 13.5 g, Carbohydrates: 31.1, Total Fat: 15.5g, Saturated Fat: 6.4 gm, Trans Fat: 0.8 gm, Cholesterol: 26.3 mg, Fiber 0.8 g, Sodium: 113mg, Iron: 2.7mg, Vitamin C: 6 mg, Calcium: 422.3 mg.